November 20, 2012

WHOLE WHEAT CARROT GNOCCHI WITH SAGE (VEGAN) BUTTER

I was prepared for a difficult task. I mean, making pasta can't be easy, right? It has to involve kneading, rolling, waiting, cutting, kneading (I obviously have never made pasta)... but THIS pasta dish was nothing of the sort. I cooked the carrots, mashed them and mixed in the flour the night before, testing them to make sure they held together in boiling water. Then I ate broiled fish with rice and snap peas for dinner.

The next night Mike roasted a turkey, yes, another turkey, and I made the carrot gnocchi with sage (vegan) butter, which was delicious. Carrot gnocchi versus potato is really nice, adding flavor, nutrients and lightness to an otherwise heavy dish.

A few notes about the process: I did add more flour the second day since the first try didn't hold up in the boiling water. Not sure why that is since you'd think the stuff would get dryer over night not wetter, so make sure to test the batch before throwing a bunch in. Also, I didn't roll the dough but left it a mixing bowl until I was ready to use it. Then I put small fork-fulls into the boiling water. It worked out fine. The sage butter sauce is really easy and works well with the carrots. All you do is put 4 Tsp vegan butter in a saucepan, add a number of fresh sage leaves and wait for them to sizzle. Then add the gnocchi to the pan and toss to coat. The gnocchi got a little gluey (as you can tell from the photo) but it tasted fine. Plus the dish warmed up nicely as a lunch the day after.

Whole Wheat Carrot Gnocchi chosen by Joanne for the Food Matters Project. See what other people made here.

1 comment:

Erin @ The Goodness Life said...

Glad you liked your gnocchi. The first few I made were a little gluey, too, so I added more and more flour and then maybe even went overboard with it... but it's a fine balance I guess that just takes lots of gnocchi-making practice!