November 20, 2012

STUFFED ACORN SQUASH



Everyone who food blogs seems to have made some version of this recipe. I chose one from my newly acquired Sprouted Kitchen cookbook, Moroccan Stuffed Squash. The Sprouted Kitchen cookbook, by the way, is amazing. Every single recipe is unique and tempting and the photographs are stunning. I want try every recipe.

I recently bought a little herb garden for my window sill. I am loving being able to pinch off a few mint leaves here, a few sage leaves there as I need them in dishes. Hopefully this little planter will last a little while, long enough at least to get me through the holidays.



Moroccan Stuffed Squash
2 medium acorn squash
3 table spoons coconut oil
Sea salt and feeshly ground pepper
1 cup quinoa
1 (13.5 oz) can light coconut milk (I used 2 cups soy milk)
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander (I used ground cardamom)
1/4 cup thinly sliced preserved lemon peel, or 2 Tsp lemon zest (I used the juice of one lime - I was lazy)
1 Tsp chopped fresh mint
3 Tsp chopped fresh cilantro (I omited this)
2 Tsp freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (I used raisins)
1/2 cup feta cheese (I used left over turkey instead))
1/2 cup chopped toasted pistachio nuts

Preheat oven to 425F. Cut acorn squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Rub 1 Tsp coconut oil on cut sides and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and pierce skin a few times with a fork. Roast 20 minutes. Flip over and continue cooking cut side up until you can pierce the thickest area with a fork easily. Remove from oven and let cool.

Place milk in a saucepan and boil over medium-high heat, with a pinch of salt and pepper. Ad quinoa and lower heat to simmer and cover. Cook until liquid is absorbed, 15-18 minutes. Turn off heat and let quinoa sit in hot pot for 5 minutes. Add remaining coconut oil, paprika, coriander, and cumin and toss to combine. Add lemon peel, mint, cilantro, orange juice, pomegranate, and feta (turkey) and toss together. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.

Fill squash cavities with stuffing. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez said...

Can you believe that I have yet to stuff a squash!? I have at least a dozen recipes set aside as inspiration...I need to get to it. Yours sounds wonderful. :)

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

These stuffed squash look delicious! Full of lots of great flavors.

Joanne said...

I haven't made this yet from the Sprouted Kitchen cookbook but it's on my to-do list! I love Moroccan flavors paired with squash!