November 15, 2012

CURRENTLY READING



I just finished How Children Succeed by Paul Tough. It describes how the majority of our children in America are failing due to poverty, but identifies the real reason for failure as what the author describes as a lack of character in children. He further boils down the necessary characteristic that helps children succeed to the ability to set failure aside and persevere. He sites organizations, such as KIPP charter schools, as places where perseverance is being taught allowing children to succeed (in school, in marriage, in work). He writes about how he dropped out of college twice (Columbia and McGill) but still persevered with his dreams and did well for himself. I recommend the book.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Perseverance is definitely key for getting through life...we all experience failure of some kind or another but you need to have the ability to push through if you ever want to "make it"!

Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today said...

We're planning to have a child now, so I think it's a book for me as well :)

Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today said...

We're planning to have a child now, so I think it's a book for me as well :)