October 28, 2012

BAKED PUMPKIN-ORANGE CUSTARD



We've been up to our eyeballs in squash and I think I have completely satisfied my interest in its various species. Therefore this will be our squash finale for the year. I asked Simon to draw a face on the small pumpkin. Unfortunately I waited until it got moldy to take a photo of it. Then I tossed it.

For this week's Food Matters Project I chose something seasonal that I thought Simon might like. I wasn't wrong. You can see everyone else's take on it here.

Recipe:
2 Tsp unsalted melted butter, plus more for greasing the pan (I used canola oil)
2 eggs
3/4 cup brown sugar (I don't stock the stuff since it always becomes a rock before I can use the entire box - even left in the refrigerator - so I used this recipe from Joy the Baker)
12 ounces soft silken tofu (I used firm - only because I couldn't find silken in any of the stores on my way home from work)
3 cups (2 14-oz cans) pureed pumpkin ( I used roasted butternut - don't ask)
1/2 tsp cinnamon, or more to taste
1/4 nutmeg
1/4 allspice
Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
Pinch salt
2 clementines sliced for garnish

1. Heat the oven to 350F. Grease an 8- or 9-inch square pan or pie plate with a little butter (I used 5 ramekins and greased with canola oil and placed clementine slices on each one). Use an electric mixer or a whisk to beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until light (I used a food processor). Add tofu and beat until smooth, a minute or 2 longer.

2. Add the 2 Tsp melted butter and remaining ingredients and beat until everything is thoroughly combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until set around the edges but still a little jiggly at the center, about 1 hour. Let cool completely before serving, or refrigerate for up to a day and serve cold.

4 comments:

Lexi said...

Nice choice Sandra. Did you like the custard?

sandra said...

Yes, very much. Did you?

Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez said...

Oh yum, this custard sounds fabulous -so perfect for the season. And I love the clementine garnish.

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

Your custard looks really good. I like the pumpkin and orange combination- you don't see that very much.