September 3, 2012

QUINOA TABBOULEH



While chopping the mint for this dish I was transported to another place. A place where the beaches are vast, the water is warm, crystal clear and stays shallow for miles. I discovered I need a vacation. Not a bungalow-colony-on-the-weekend vacation, a real bona fide no-stress week at the beach vacation, where the most worrisome thing is choosing where will we eat dinner. Not sure if this is in my near future, but I can dream. I can also use mint more often. Not sure why I don't. I must try to cull all the recipes I can amass that require this wonderful herb. If not for my taste buds, then at least for my sanity.



This week's the Food Matters project chosen by Sara at Simply Whole Kitchen is a wonderful one. Full of marvelous flavors that turn to magic when eaten together. Not only that but it looks beautiful with so many complimentary colors jumbled together.

This is what I used, but you can use whatever you have hanging around:

Combine the following
1/2 cup quinoa, cooked in 3/4 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
pepper

Add the quinoa mixture to the following:
1/2 seedless cucumber, chopped
1-2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced in half
6-7 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
2-3 radishes, finely chopped
1/2 -1 cup mint, coarsely chopped
dash of salt

3 comments:

prairiesummers said...

I love the mint in this dish and could not get enough of it.

Joanne said...

Mint makes me feel the exact same way!! It must be that it reminds me of mojitos. :) This salad looks so refreshing!

sandra said...

Joanne, you hit it spot on - mojitos. Thanks!