August 21, 2012

GREEK-STYLE "NACHOS"



I am not terribly organized, or I don't consider myself to be. Part of this is intentional. I like to do things on the fly, at whim, spontaneously. The nature of The Food Matters Project, where a group of chefs cook up the same recipe each week and compare what everyone did differently, has fed this aspect of my personality. I often do not look at the recipe (and do not know the ingredients needed) until I am about to make the dish, at the nth hour. Sometime this causes happy accidents, other times frantic moments and disaster dishes. This week was a happy one.

This dish, chosen by Megan at Art by Megan, is so easy to make. All you need are some tomatoes, cucumbers, a red onion, feta, yogurt, kalamata olives, olive oil, a lemon and some mint. Most of these things I always keep in my kitchen, they are staples. I only had to buy the pita chips (pre-made) and the kalamata olives. Just place chips on a plate, chop ingredients, place on top of chips, drizzle sauce, and you are done.

Sauce is made of 1/2 cup yogurt, 4 oz feta cheese, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup mint, and the zest and juice of one lemon, salt and pepper, all processed to a creamy consistency. I think I would have omitted the lemon if I'd known how sour it would make the sauce, but my husband liked it.

Here is a NYTimes article by Mark Bittman explaining the dish. In this recipe he includes ground lamb cooked with cumin. I used ground turkey instead.

3 comments:

Lexi said...

Sandra, Adding ground turkey is a great idea!

Margie Larrazabal said...

I also loved how easy this dish was. Love the color of your drizzle. :)

sandra said...

Thanks. I think the color is in part due to the lighting in my kitchen, but the drizzle did have a nice green fleckiness (word?) to it, due to the mint.